We recently attended the annual Healthcare Marketing and Physician Strategies Summit (HMPS), which was held May 23-25 in Chicago. Some key takeaways from this year’s conference included:
- Claims data, while wonderful, should be considered more directional in nature than concrete. Several presenters spoke to this, which reinforces our interpretation of the data as well. Claims data is an excellent addition to your internal EMR data, and can help you understand what is happening outside of your walls, but it is best used in combination with your EMR data to get the full picture.
- Top challenges in physician relations include: proving impact, demonstrating ROI and standardizing outreach across service lines.
- Tea Leaves Health facilitated a session on Emerging Trends in Physician Relations. The panel had representation from several client partners and a lively discussion ensued, covering the following topics:
- Know your audience. It may no longer be a hospital or physician practice, but rather a business, insurance company, or a retailer such as Walgreens, CVS or Walmart.
- You need to work as hard internally as well as externally with both physicians and administrators, service line managers, etc.
- Liaisons need to elevate and integrate their roles not only in the physician offices, but within their own C-Suites as well.
- To quote our own Christine Sasser-Perry, “At the end of the day, it is all about relationships.”
If you want to increase physician engagement but you’re unsure of where to begin, download the article, “Are You Ready for Physician Engagement?” to get up-to-speed on the steps your organization should take when preparing to work with a physician engagement vendor.